Want to play music at the market? You can apply here. But before doing that, make sure to a look at our guidelines down below. We'd love to have you!
Performer Guidelines 2023
Sooke Country Market welcomes local musicians and other performers to enhance the market atmosphere. We support local farmers and also seek to provide a free venue for local artists. Please read the following guidelines carefully to ensure you are a good fit for the market at this time. A small fee is provided to musicians who are accepted for performance at the market.
Rules for Performers
1. Prospective performers must complete a Performance Artist Application form available on the Sooke Country Market website. All new performers must be approved by the Market Board and will then be scheduled to perform at agreed upon date(s) through the season, by the Market Manager.
2. Pre-approved performers must phone or email the Market Coordinator by the Tuesday before market day to confirm their spot. If you are scheduled and not able to attend, please inform the Market Coordinator by Tuesday.
3. Tips may be solicited by displaying a bowl, hat, instrument case or other receptacle, but not by actively asking for tips or passing around a tip jar.
4. Performers may offer for sale only their own recordings (no re-selling)
5. Performers will be supplied with a 10’x10’ tent area to set up. We have a battery bank available for power.
6. Any type of performance, which involves harassing market shoppers, panhandling, shouting, disseminating propaganda, displaying political or divisive signage or other potentially abusive or disruptive behaviour will not be permitted.
7. Performers promoting political issues or religious perspective are not permitted at the market. Promoting philosophies such as homophobia, racism or sexism are not welcome at the Market. The display of any literature promoting discrimination will result in the organization being asked to dismantle their display and leave the market.
8. Any performer using foul or offensive language within the context of their performance will be given one warning and upon a second offence, will be asked to leave immediately.
9. Performers are expected to have read and comply with the general rules and guidelines of the Sooke Country Market in their entirety.
10. The Board of Directors in their absolute discretion may prohibit any person from performing and may require persons to leave the market in the event that the person fails to or refuses to abide by the rules and regulations or decisions of the Board of Directors.